Below is a list of signs that someone may have alcohol use disorder
- Alcohol is consumed in larger amounts are over a longer period than intended.
- Unsuccessful attempts to cut down or control the use of alcohol despite a persistent desire to do so
- A great deal of time is spent in obtaining alcohol, using alcohol, or recovering from the effects of alcohol.
- Persistent craving or urge to use alcohol
- Continued alcohol use despite recurrent problems
- Reduction or elimination of other important social, occupational, or recreational activities
- Continued alcohol use despite alcohol causing a physical or psychological problems and / or hazards
- Tolerance (increased amounts are needed to achieve intoxication and there is a diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of alcohol)
- Withdrawal symptoms (or drinking alcohol to avoid withdrawal symptoms) which may include anxiety, insomnia, tremors and / or nausea